Thursday, November 19, 2020

Saving a broken tablet with a charger hack

I found this Samsung Galaxy Tab S in an e-waste bin. It didn't have any visible damage, but it had been thrown away because it was dead and wouldn't charge or react at all when plugged in. My USB power meter showed it would only pull about 10mA from the USB cable. 



Since this was one of the older designs with the removable back cover, I could easily open it up and directly access the battery connector. By charging the battery from a bench supply, I got it to wake up, and everything seemed to work normally except for charging.  The previous owner had installed some kind of aftermarket OS on it that caused it to get stuck in a boot loop as soon as I tried to do a factory reset, so I had to spend a while figuring out how to use Odin to restore the stock OS. After that diversion it was wiped and working normally, but still unable to charge. 

I couldn't find any visible signs of damage, and I could confirm that the connections to the USB port were still good - in fact the system could still detect 5V when plugged in and indicate that it was charging, but no current was actually going into the battery. It also was still able to accurately report battery charge because it was based on voltage. This meant that if I could add something to charge the cell, the whole thing could be restored without having to dig further into the real source of the failure. 


I prepared a small board to hold a TP4056 charger IC. This was cut from blank flex PCB material since everything needed to stay very low profile to fit in the case. A higher-current charger would have been preferable since this is a 4.8Ah cell, but the only options I had would have required a PCB with a lot more support components and would have ended up being too thick. The TP4056 is set up to charge at 1.2A, which is a slow charge but probably good enough for the use case for a tablet. One other disadvantage is that it will only charge to 4.2V while this is a 4.35V cell, so it only gets to 92% (as estimated by Android). I figured these disadvantages were acceptable tradeoffs for keeping the repair simple and getting it working quickly. 


I probed out the connections for 5V and ground on the USB connector daughter board, and tapped into these with 34AWG magnet wire. 


From there it was very simple to wire in the new charger. I was lucky that system ground was connected to battery negative, so this charger architecture would work. All I had to do was wire 5V and ground to the TP4056, and then connect the output from the charger to a battery+ connection next to the battery connector. 


I then plugged it in, checked that everything was working on the USB meter, and closed up the case. The tablet now works normally and has no visible external changes - it just charges a bit slower and tops out at 92%. 




2 comments:

  1. Felitzema brava 👏 good work there son. I like how you said nope dont care about actual problem. Im just gonna bypass the tablets Oem wash of charging with my own little board and on flex pcb of all things. I must admit that gave me a stiffy for I had yet to come up with that solution on my own. Ya see I usually something similar in that I try revival of the battery by cutting the battery out and attaching it to a almost fully charged battery with a almost fully universal bms i designed myself ir sends the juice in waves really fast and short waves. To get the battery to drink up a little if that fails i put the battery in unison with the charged one onto
    A recharger/decharge ad make it charge then drain charge then drain. Sometimes with the current high but the amps low. Eventually they wake up. If not then I just put a new battery cut the batteries oem pcb and add the old one from the dead old bat. But before I get to that method I usually try adding a relay somewhere along the circuit to make it charge faster and such. I however find myself Thinking of you, no homo. You see I am a fan of your work. I like to tinker. If electronics were my willy the Id be some kinda serial pervert cause i can never seem to put down my gadgets and well In the process of upgrading my GOOLOOs portable Jumpstarter died and took a shit on my hopes and dreams of upgrading the battery pack to try and make it charge at ahigher amp when engaged but i also tried adding 3x the amount of cells it came with standardly. Well I went to charge it right and nothing happened. Only a single blue led blinks on and off instead of the sequential led light up it usually does that indicating that it is charging. I put everything back to oem and problem is still there. What do you reckon it is? No matter what it wont hold a lick of energy. Thats where you come in. See in the process of jacking off my gadgets I asked myself what would Everett Bradford try to do to remedy this problem. Then I I
    Rememberd this post about the tablet and figured you could possibly help bring my GOOLOO BACK TO LIE. i just want it to LOO ITS LAST GOO AGAIN. help me Everett Bradford youre my only hope.

    ReplyDelete